Refrigerator Water Filters
The Next Best Thing In Water Purification?
Refrigerator water filters have become a necessity and not a luxury.
In fact, all refrigerators today comes with a built in fridge filter.
If you are more concerned about the water you drink than using water for other things in your household, then water filters for refrigerators may be the best choice for you.
While a faucet water filter is a good way to have pure filtered water, it sometimes takes up space at the sink when you are doing other chores in the kitchen.
If you drink a lot of water, a refrigerator water filter is the best way to have purified water at your fingertips.
We will now look at the advantages and disadvantages of a refrigerator filter along with reviews on the most popular brands such as Whirlpool, General Electric, PUR, Kitchenaid, Amana, Samsung, Maytag, and LG.
Before you go out and buy a refrigerator filter, there are several things that you first need to know.
What Is A Refrigerator Water Filter?
A refrigerator water filter is a purification system that removes unwanted contaminants from your water.
The filter cartridge is usually uses one or two layers of carbon to filter the water that passes through your refrigerator.
The carbon, especially granulated carbon, will effectively eliminate chlorine, lead, Mercury and other contaminants from your water.
Types Of Refrigerator Water Filters
Most new model refrigerators come with a built in water filter. Other refrigerators are equipped with an add on or inline refrigerator filter.
An inline refrigerator filter is connected to a tube at the back of the refrigerator.
Installation of an in line refrigerator filter is easy. You simply connect the water line to the end of the refrigerator filter and attach the other end to the tube from the back of your refrigerator.
Inline refrigerator filters are more liked by consumers because some of these filters will actually remove as many contaminants as an under sink or counter top water filter.
The other type of fridge water filter is the built model.
This type is more common as most new refrigerators, regardless of their shape and size, has one installed and ready to use.
Built in water filters for refrigerators typically last six months but they can last a shorter or longer time based on your water consumption and the quality of your water.
How Does A Refrigerator Filter Work?
With an in line refrigerator filter, your water is purified before it even enters the refrigerator.
When the water flows through the tube that is attached to your water source that leads to the filter, the cartridge inside the filter removes contaminants from your water before it reaches your refrigerator.
This process works instantly so as soon as you press the dispenser button, fresh filtered water is released.
This filter also allows for extended lifespan for your refrigerator as contaminants are removed before reaching the fridge.
The built in refrigerator filter works in a similar manner.
The filter is usually located very close to the dispenser so your water is purified right before the water is released.
Water enters the main pipeline and into the refrigerator. The built in filter immediately purifies the water.
Key Features Of Refrigerator Water Filters
- Change your refrigerator filter according to your manual. The general guideline is 4 to 6 months. If you drink a lot of water or your water quality is poor, then you may need to change your filter sooner than the recommended time frame.
In fact, most new refrigerator water filters have an indicator light, which indicates that time is approaching to change your filter or that you need to change your filter now.
If you don't have an indicator light, you will also know it’s time to change your filter when your water begins to have that pre-filter chlorine taste or cloudy look.
When these signs occur, change your water filter immediately.
- Installation only takes a few seconds. A minute or two the most. For the most part, installing a refrigerator water filter only takes a simple push twist and pull.
A professional is not needed to install a refrigerator filter. You can do it by yourself.
- They are lightweight. Most refrigerator filters weigh less than 2 pounds. This makes shipping cost cheaper and it also prevents any strain from lifting the object.
- They are also easily accessible. You can find them in any store or online. Shop online because you will find that the prices are best there , so you may receive discounts on your refrigerator water filters.
Benefits Of A Refrigerator Water Filter
- You don't have to open your refrigerator to enjoy pure filtered water. Most refrigerator filters dispense the water at the front of the refrigerator. All you have to do is set your cup and push a button.
- Water filters for refrigerators provide a quick and convenient way to have pure, good- tasting, filtered water.
It saves you time. A pitcher takes time to refill and you have to remember to refill it. With a refrigerator water filter it is instant water.
- No need to continuously fill water dispensers. Re- filling water dispensers can be time consuming. Just the thought of water not readily available will change our mind from drinking it in the first place.
A refrigerator filter eliminates that problems and will continuously supply you with healthier water.
- Costs are reasonable because of the variety on the market. This is because there are many brands with filters that are compatible with your refrigerator.
Most refrigerator replacement cartridges cost less than $30 and will last more than 100 gallons per cartridge.
- Enjoy not only filtered water but also better tasting ice. Most new refrigerators have ice dispensers that are connected to the filter system, as a result, you will experience fresh filtered ice cubes or crush ice that will make your water test much better.
- Extend the lifespan of your refrigerator when impurities are removed.
A refrigerator filter will remove sediments and other impurities that can cause rust in your refrigerator. The fewer times you have to call in a repairman the more money you will have to save.
Disadvantages Of A Refrigerator Water Filter
- A fridge filter is not a substitute for a whole house water filter or a faucet water filter system.
Whole house water filters are more powerful and can remove a lot more contaminants than a refrigerator filter.
It is best to have a whole house filter along with a refrigerator filter for complete purification.
- Another disadvantage is that a fridge filter is primarily used for drinking purposes.
What about cooking, washing, cleaning and showering? Filtered water is important in these areas as well. Filtered water can make your food taste better and your clothes texture feel like new.
With cleaning, filtered water uses less chemical to clean than with unfiltered water. As far as showering, the skin is the largest organ that absorbs water into our system.
- Some refrigerator replacement cartridges cost as much as under counter and counter top water purifiers. In this case it would be better if you bought a faucet filter system because with a faucet filter, you can use the water for cooking, washing and more.
Buying A Refrigerator Water Filter
Even though discounts are always available on refrigerator filters, the price for a refrigerator filter is affordable.
The price usually ranges from $9 to $45. The price is usually based on micron ratings, lifespan of filter and brand.
To effectively remove certain contaminants, it is recommended that the micron rating be no less than 0.2. Anything higher will allow certain bacteria and other contaminants in the water.
Most of the best water filters for refrigerators can be used interchangeably. In other words, you can use a different brand filter than your refrigerator that is cheaper or on discount.
We recommend that you read your manufacturers recommendations and find out which filter brand is compatible with your refrigerator.
Which Refrigerator Water Filter To Choose?
With the abundance of refrigerator water filters on the market, how do you know which one is best for you?
The first step that you can take is to read through a few reviews.
We have gone ahead and done a few reviews of the most popular and efficient refrigerator filters on the market. We ask that you take your time and carefully read them.
By the way, continue to check this page for updates and new reviews on fridge filters.
Amana Refrigerator Filter: Known To Improve Water Quality
Ge refrigerator Filter: Features, Guidelines and Reviews
Kenmore Refrigerator Filter: Find out Why Should You Get One
Kitchenaid refrigerator Filter: Easy to Install and Operate
LG Refrigerator Filter: LG’s Best kept Secret
Maytag Refrigerator Filter: These Water Filters are Versatile
Samsung Refrigerator Filter: Perfect For Purifying Water in Your Home
Whirlpool Refrigerator Filter: Offering Over Three (3) types of Refrigerator Filters
Amana Refrigerator Filter: Known To Improve Water Quality
Return from Refrigerator Water Filters to Homepage