Should You Buy a Salt Free Water Softener?
Advantages and Disadvantages
The decision of buying a salt free water softener is not an easy one. Most persons take months before they make the decision to purchase a salt free softener.
There is the high price factor and then there is the speculation that no salt water softeners are a scam.
So let's take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of a salt free softener as well as what you need to know before you purchase one.
Advantages of No Salt Water Softeners
Disadvantages of Salt Free Softeners
- A disadvantage of a Salt free softener is that the softener system will actually be more expensive than a salt water softener. This results in the salt free softener costing upwards of 10 % more than your salt softener.
Most salt free units cost fromm $1,000 to $3,000. This may be a lot for most consumers.
- Another disadvantage of a salt free softener is that lime scale can build up wherever water is still. That means that you would have to continuously remove scale from your water heater being that a salt free water softener cannot prevent mineral deposits.
However, there are a few no salt water softeners that can prevent scale build up. That is because before the magnetic reaction, they use a catalytic device that washes out the water through the pipes without attaching the particles to the pipes or water heaters.
Before Buying a Salt Free Softener You Must Know Several Things:
- Salt free water softeners cannot remove harmful chemicals, viruses and bacteria. Water softeners are not water filters or water purifiers.
- They cannot totally prevent scaling. Other factors contribute to scaling other than salt.
- No salt water softeners are not very effective on water levels above 75 grains per gallon. So if your water is very hard, a saltless system alone may not be a good choice.
- Some persons say that a salt water softener gives your clothes a special feeling, something like a smooth slick feeling. It actually does because it removes the "hardness" from your water and makes it "soft and nice".
A salt free water softener is a good choice for persons who worry about the using salt to soften their water. But before you buy a salt free water softener, ensure that it is within your budget, effective at softening your water and durable.
Return from Salt Free Water Softener to Homepage